This post highlights artichokes and why you should have a healthy serving as often as possible.
Nutritional Contents of Artichokes
Artichokes are rich in antioxidants such as quercertin, rutin, anthocyanins, cynarin, luteolin, and silymarin. In fact, the antioxidant content of artichoke flower heads is one of the highest among vegetables.
Artichokes also contain Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9 and Vitamin C along with minerals such as iron, magnesium, potassium and phosphorous.
A medium sized artichoke contains almost a quarter of the recommended daily intake of fibre.
Health Benefits of Artichokes
Due to their richness in antioxidants, artichokes are highly recommended for a healthy diet. Here are a few of the benefits of including artichokes in your die regularly.
1. Lower Cholesterol: They help reduce the level of LDL cholesterol and help increase the HDL/LDL ratio (which is good for you).
2. Blood Glucose Levels: They help balance the blood glucose levels and are recommended to help deal with diabetes.
3. Improved Liver Function: Artichokes help strengthen the liver and can even aid in regeneration of liver tissue.
4. Cancer Prevention: Presence of antioxidants can help prevent prostate cancer, leukemia and breast cancer.
5. Digestive value: Artichokes are a natural diuretic and improve gallbladder function. They contain a healthy amount of fibre which is essential in the digestive process.
6. Increased Bile Flow: The cynarin antioxidant increases bile flow which helps in breaking down the lipids in your diet.
7. Overall Health: Antioxidants in keep the body immune and can also help in cell regeneration, maintaining good skin etc.
8. Hangovers: Artichokes are said to be a remedy for hangovers.
If you do decide to go ahead and include them in your regular diet, why not grow them? You can buy the seeds at our website Sweet Organic Corn Nursery. In order to help you get going, we’ve written a small guide on how to plant artichokes. If you need any further assistance, do let us know.
Oh, and be sure to let us in on the progress :)!