There are a hundred reasons why this vegetable needs to be an important part of your diet. Here are few reasons why.
Nutritional Contents of Broccoli
Broccoli, a part of the cabbage family, is a vegetable rich in vitamin C, vitamin K and contains a fair amount of B-complex vitamins. It is also rich in lutein and packs a modest amount of beta-carotene.
In addition to the rich vitamin content, broccoli contains nutrients such as diindolylmethane, small amounts of selenium, glucoraphanin and indole-3-carbinol.
Health Benefits of Broccoli
1. Boosting immunity: Broccoli contains diindolylmethane is an innate immune response system activator possessing anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. This definitely gives credibility to the oft heard ‘kids, finish your veggies’.
2. Cancer prevention: A healthy diet should include broccoli; a regular intake of Broccoli has been shown to prevent prostate cancer. The nutrient diindolylmethane demonstrates anti-cancer activity as does gucoraphanin which is processed into sulforaphane which also exhibits anti-cancer activity.
3. DNA repair: Indole-3-carbinol in broccoli helps in repairing DNA in cells and also helps block the growth of cancer cells.
4. Preventing osteoporosis: Calcium and vitamin K are essential in fighting osteoporosis. While the calcium content of broccoli isn’t equivalent to a glass of milk, it can be beneficial for those who are lactose intolerant.
5. Maintaining blood pressure: Minerals such as calcium, potassium and magnesium present in broccoli help in maintaining normal blood pressure.
6. Healthy Heart: Folic acid, beta-carotene and vitamin C ensure a healthy heart and can help prevent a number of cardiovascular disease.
7. Healthy eyes: Lutein helps in maintaining healthy eyes by reducing the incidence of macular degeneration and cataract development. It also helps improve visual performance and decrease in light sensitivity (glare).
Health benefits of broccoli sprouts: Helps control cholesterol levels, helps reverse diabetes-linked vascular disease and has proven to be one of the most beneficial anti-carcinogenic foods.
Nutrition experts recommend 4-5 servings of vegetables a day at the very least. Broccoli is a very healthy choice. Moreover, it’s quite easy to whip up a simple dish and serves well with meat.
You can find Broccoli seeds at our store, Sweet Corn Organic Nursery.