Cantaloupe, a type of melon averaging 4 to 7 inches in diameter with a light yellow-orange color or a deeper salmon hue flesh has an amazing sweet, musky aroma that is most prominent when ripe. It is a member of the Cucurbitaceae family and like its other relatives grows on the ground as a trailing vine. Cantaloupes are the most popular melon in the US and are at their most delicious in the summer.
Health Benefits of Cantaloupes
1. High in anti-oxidants: Cantaloupes are a good source of vitamin A and C, both powerful anti-oxidants that fight free radical damage to cells making them effective and essential against cancers. They also reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases and are thought to slow the process of ageing all over the body!
2. Boosts the immune system: The abundance of vitamins present ensures a healthy immune system especially helping against common cold and other viral infections.
3. Promotes lung health: A recent study found that the vitamin A rich cantaloupe could lower one’s risk of developing a lung disease such as emphysema! It is especially helpful to smokers who have a deficiency of vitamin A due to a substance in smoke.
4. Reduces stress: Cantaloupe is a refreshing food and helps normalize heartbeat and enhances oxygen supply to the brain, thus making one more focused and relaxed. It is an ideal fruit to eat in times of anxiety and stress!
5. Prevents cardiovascular diseases: Cantaloupes contain a blood-thinning compound called adenosine which is generally administered to heart patients to prevent blood clotting in the veins and arteries. Also, the folate present in cantaloupes and other melons help prevent heart attacks.
Nutritional Facts of Raw Cantaloupes
Serving size- 100 grams
|Calories per serving 34
Calories from fat 2
% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 0 g 0%|
|Saturated Fat 0 g 0%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg 0%|
|Sodium 16 mg 1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9 g 3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1 g 4%|
|Sugars 8 g|
|Protein 1 g|
Vitamin A 68%
Vitamin C 61%
*% Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Nutrition Values are based on USDA Nutrient Database SR18
Need help on growing cantaloupe? Click here!
We also have quite a few delicious varieties of cantaloupe seeds you might want to see at our Sweet Corn Organic Nursery store!